Celebrate going back to school by holding up our free editable first day of school sign! These printable signs are able to be personalized and allow you to edit certain areas of the sign to include your child’s name, grade, school favorites and more.
Mrs. Merry is an Amazon associate and participant of the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This page may contain Amazon Affiliate links. If you buy something through one of those links, you won’t pay a penny more, and we’ll receive a small commission, which helps us continue to create these printables. Thanks for your continued support!
All about our editable first day of school sign:
First of all, this printable is a little different than my other free printable. This one can personalized! I designed this so certain fields can be changed/updated/edited to apply to your child or student. I created this design template with editable fields in Google Drawing. Anyone with the link will have the option of editing and saving the sign of their very own.
I used fonts in a handwriting style, that gave it an elementary school look & feel. This sign is perfect for the first day of preschool, first day of kindergarten or even first grade.
This file is 8″x10″ in size so it can be printed and the framed in a 8″x10″ frame. Don’t want to frame it? Just print it on regular 8.5″ x 11″ paper and have your child hold it up for a first day of school photo opportunity!
How do I edit the First Day of School Sign?
This is a Google Drawing file. What does this mean? It means that certain areas of the file can be personalized with your child’s own info.
1. Simply click on the link that is emailed to you. You’ll now be brought to the “Copy document” page. This is making a copy of the original document, so you can personalize it with your OWN details and/or info. Select the “Make a Copy” button. If you don’t get this page, you’ll be asked to sign in to your google account before you’re brought to this page. You must be signed into your google/gmail account to access since this is using a free Google resource.
2. After you select “Make a copy” you’ll be brought to Google Drawing featuring your First Day of School sign. At this point you can click on the sign and edit the fields you want to edit: including the name, favorites, etc. You are also able to change the color of the text by selecting the “text” color box in the menu.
3. Once you’re done making all your changes, you can either print from your own computer right away by going to “File” and then “Print”.
Or, if you’re planning on printing later or printing through a printing company: Select “File” and then “Download” and select “JPG” or “PDF”. I recommend saving this as a PDF over a JPG because Google Drawing won’t export a JPG at a high resolution. But either will print fine since this is printing 8″x10″ in size!
Which fields are editable in the free first day of school sign?
All of the relevant fields are editable!
1. The student’s name
2. The grade of student
3. The age of student
4. Answer to “When I grow up I want to be:”
5. Favorites (color, food, book)
6. School name (This works as an area to include the teacher name as well.)
Take first day of school pictures
Take a pic! Use our first day sign to take some back to school photos of your kids! Have them hold up the first day of school sign (or frame it in a 8″x10″ frame – these can be found at any dollar store).
Start the new school year off right with a great photo opportunity!
Check back again for a matching Last Day of School editable printable
Pin the colorful first day of school signs.
Get the word out: If you liked this editable school sign and want to give us a little thanks please pin us on Pinterest. We love Pinterest pinning!
Below are examples of how your First Day of School sign can be personalized:
Need some craft supplies?
Amazon has always been my go-to for most of my office and craft supplies. If you print a lot of printables and spend time coloring, gluing and adding some extra jazz to them, our list of supplies can help!
I’ve split the list up into a basic list and a fancier list if you’re going to put a little more pizazz into your printables.
Privacy & Cookies Policy
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.